25 Comments

1. Ruby Craft
    March 25, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

Linda! You are fantastic! I was not happy to find that Google Reader was going away, and more than a little concerned on what I would do. Reader was the only way I could keep up with the blogs I follow. Now you’ve not only given me some alternatives but reviewed them as well. I’m going to check them all out as well as WordPress. I set up a blog with them a while back and even though I haven’t really used it they sent me an email with a link to their reader. It was quick and easy to transfer my feeds from Google to them but I still want to check out all the readers you mentioned and see which I like best. Thanks for your help. I’ve included the link if you want to check it out. http://en.support.wordpress.com/reader/

2. Linda Ledbetter
    March 24, 2013 @ 12:43 am

Mary, I haven’t come across any alternatives that use the browser toolbar, but I’m really liking the list view in Netvibes.

Ionabunny, Google Reader is a feature that some people use to read other peoples’ blogs more easily. Its demise won’t affect the actual blogs, so don’t worry– you won’t need to set up a new one. 🙂

3. ionabunny
    March 24, 2013 @ 12:27 am

I don’t understand!! Fairly new to blogging. Do I have to set up a new blog?? Help, techno challenged

4. Mary
    March 23, 2013 @ 7:44 pm

You are a life saver! I think Google may be trying to purposely turn me against them. What with slowly taking over the Internet and then taking away one of my favorite services… I wonder if some Google exec would pop up if I Googled “jerk”. =P Anyway, thanks for researching some alternatives. I usually read my blogs by just hitting the Reader’s “Next” button in my bookmark bar….do you know if any of these services has a similar feature?

5. akmoose
    March 23, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

Thanks for this post. I never knew such a “animal” existed. I have been just book marking or haphazardly following blogs. I will now have to invest some time figuring out how to use one of these. THANKS

Also, will you be starting any “challenges” again? soon? I had so much fun following and participating in the tim holtz challenges

6. Ellen Paul
    March 21, 2013 @ 7:00 am

Lovers of information now seem to have a tough time with the recent announcement of the closing down of Google reader. However, fans of Google reader can now switch to something new alternatives to Google Reader. I found list of some alternatives of it, but still can’t decide that with whom should I go for best result. Now, here its a brief description about some other alternatives, so now its not a very much difficult task for me. I found the Oldreader much suitable for me. Thanks for helping out on above topic.

7. The Craft Cupboard Under the Stairs
    March 19, 2013 @ 10:56 am

Thanks Linda, you’ve done us all a great service in putting this info together

8. Em Louise Fairley
    March 18, 2013 @ 7:50 pm

Thanks so much for letting us know! I’ve just posted to my blog about this and linked to this post. You can read the post here… http://emcards-em.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/some-google-news.html

Thanks again!

9. Linda Ledbetter
    March 18, 2013 @ 12:46 pm

Maxine, Reader shows the feeds you subscribe to via Google in a more concise way than the Dashboard. As near as I can tell, the blogs you follow through Google Friend Connect will still show up on your dashboard after Reader shuts down–as long as those blogs are on the Blogger platform. No one seems to know yet what will happen to your connections from Typepad, WordPress, etc.

(Friend Connect is that little widget that show how many people are following your blog).

10. Linda Ledbetter
    March 18, 2013 @ 12:34 pm

Susieq23, it’s really easy, no matter which of these apps you use.

bloglovin:

Netvibes:

Feedly interfaces directly with Google Reader, so once you set it up you’ll automatically have access to all your Reader subscriptions. Then, when Reader shuts down, it will move your subscriptions to its own servers so you won’t lose anything.

Hope that helps!

11. Anita Houston
    March 18, 2013 @ 5:07 am

Good things to know, although now I just have everything shot into my email that I want. Very overwhelming though…lol! Thanks for doing our dirty work!

12. MaxineD
    March 18, 2013 @ 2:13 am

I am really not sure what the difference is between Google Reader and the dashboard of my Google blog. I follow all my blogs from the dashboard, but there is a ‘button’ to view these in Reader to one side of it, so I take it that reader is a different entity???

13. Winnie
    March 18, 2013 @ 1:58 am

Thank you Linda! I am not techie by any stretch, so I will start with the 3 you listed and look at them to see what will work for me! Happy St. Paddy’s Day!

14. suzieq23
    March 17, 2013 @ 5:08 pm

Thanks for the info. Do you know how we can get our Google Reader info into another? I hate to lose all the blogs that I have listed in my Reader. Thanks for any info on this subject.

15. Cathy
    March 16, 2013 @ 10:42 pm

Thanks Linda, as a newbie I need all the help I can get! I’ll keep my eye on Feedly 🙂

16. Theresa
    March 16, 2013 @ 4:22 pm

Thank you so much Linda. I started doing the same research and had found two of the three you mentioned. I think I will give feedly a try and see what happens. At least we have some time before the plug is pulled. thanks as always for sharing.

17. Toni Hinchcliffe
    March 16, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

Linda, thank you so much for posting about this with your suggestions! I was in a panic about what to do, and now I have options! You rock!

18. Scrapthat
    March 16, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

I too have feedly on the go, also Old reader. I’m still looking around like you.
    TFS your thoughts on them!!

19. butterfly
    March 16, 2013 @ 9:55 am

Wow… hadn’t heard that at all. Thank you so much for the heads-up, and for doing all that exploratory work for us… thank you! Going to check out feedly – especially if I can just scooch everything over from Google Reader…
    Alison x

20. BethW
    March 16, 2013 @ 7:47 am

Thank you so much.I was worried but now I have some alternatives to check out.You rock!

21. Julie Steed
    March 16, 2013 @ 2:31 am

THANK YOU! I hadn’t heard and would have been, to say the least, very sad.

22. Disco Queen
    March 16, 2013 @ 12:03 am

I’ve been using bloglovin for over a year now. In fact I’m reading your blog from there right now. I like it, but I have to say the original version was much better & user friendly. It was quicker to use & unread blog posts were accessible for longer. Whilst I have got used to the change now I may look around at the others.

• Disco Queen
      March 16, 2013 @ 12:36 am

Update: After further research I have decided to give feedly a try. Full posts can be viewed within feedly so it should be a lot quicker.
      FYI I use the iOS app.

23. Christine
    March 15, 2013 @ 11:07 pm

I haven’t been to your blog for a long time–I just check it with reader. I LOVE your new look!

I’m going to have to give Netvibes another chance. I didn’t see a way to import my import my Reader subscriptions which was the big negative for me.

Thanks for the information!

24. Joan V
    March 15, 2013 @ 11:07 pm

Linda, you are an angel. When I saw that post from Google Reader, I felt so let down by Google. What is going on with them? Anyhow, thanks for the reviews. Not sure which one I will use, either. thanks for sharing.